Tuesday, December 15, 2015

My Debate Topic ♥

     Scrolling through some topics to debate for school, one of my friends came across a very interesting one: should bullies be held legally responsible (death penalty or jail/juvenile) if their bullying results in the victim's death (by suicide)?
     My first instinct, was to say yes, because the bully basically would've taken the victim's life. Then, I thought about it a little bit more, and came to the point where I was arguing with myself. Never would've expected that in my life!
     Turns out, this debate topic goes far deeper than ever imaginable. In class, we held this type of poll, where people would answer what they think and why on a piece of paper. My classmates' responses were ALL OVER THE PLACE. This pondering question basically split the class in half.
     People said yes for the same reason as I thought. The bully bullied a victim so much to the point that the victim broke and killed themselves. The bully should pay, for technically taking a life. That was the main reason.
     As for no, people believed that the bully shouldn't at least have a death penalty, because they didn't necessarily choose for the victim to commit suicide - it was the victim's choice. Jail or juvenile is always an option because the bully bullied in the first place. Taking another life wouldn't help the case of cruelty in our world.
     I'd like to hear about your ideas! Post in the comments below! Should bullies be held legally responsible if their victim commits suicide?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the side that wants to punish the bully. It's like if the bully went inside someone's mind and killed them. They wouldn't have killed themselves if the bully didn't exist.

    ReplyDelete